Saturday, July 30, 2016

Viva La VoiceThread

VoiceThread is a Web 2.0 tool we have used in this course to view presentations by our instructor. When viewing presentations, we have the ability to post comments to slides throughout the presentation, which has been a very effective way to interact with instructors and classmates. This past week, we completed an assignment that required us to use VoiceThread to narrate a presentation about a knowledge sharing/tracking project we created.  I simply created a Powerpoint presentation and uploaded it into my VoiceThread account. It did take a minute to get use to my recorded voice...I mean you never really know what you sound like until you hear it for yourself. LOL! I found it was very helpful to type narrative in the notes section of the Powerpoint presentation, which made it really easy to read as I was recording. Although this was my first time creating a project in VoiceThread, I found it to be a very user-friendly tool that I will definitely use again.


Check out my VoiceThread presentation:


There are lots of different types of staff that work in our department. Training seems to be an ongoing process as staff leave and join the team on a regular basis. It typically occurs at a set time each year, but one challenge is figuring out an effective way to onboard and train staff who start outside of these set times. I truly believe VoiceThread can be a very useful tool to create and post orientation and training materials online for staff to access as needed. It has the potential to maximize staff time and provide resources that can be a reference for staff well beyond the onboarding process.


I was so impressed with how easy it was to create and narrate a VoiceThread presentation. My excitement led to me sharing my presentation with a number of staff to discuss ways we could use the technology for training purposes within our department. I can't wait to see all the ways we can use VoiceThread to not only train our staff but to also more effectively provide instruction and information to students and their families. 

VoiceThread definitely gets a thumbs up from me!

2 comments:

  1. Great post about VoiceThread. I also think it's a great tool. I enjoy viewing VoiceThreads instead of of reading through a PPT. I feel like I get so much more information and it almost feels like being in a regular class because the professor, or presenter, can add extra details that you might not get if you were just reading a PPT. The feature of the comments is also nice because you can have a conversation right on the slide that is relevant.

    I have thought about using VoiceThread at my place of work too. We have employees who come and go as well, and I have to train them on things all the time. Employees who have been there for a while also forget things, so it would be nice if they had a VoiceThread to refer back to. I hope VoiceThread helps your workplace, and I'm excited to try it in mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Ashley! I hope we both find VoiceThread effective in our workplace. Good luck!

      Delete