Saturday, July 30, 2016

Cracking the Glass Ceiling

Hillary Clinton made history this week by becoming the first FEMALE to win a major-party, presidential nomination. It was all pantsuits and balloons at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia where Hillary officially accepted the nomination. As she prepares for battle against the Republican nominee, Donald Trump, there has been a lot of focus on the significance of this moment in history. Politics aside, there is reason to acknowledge and respect what it means to have a woman vie for the nation's topic office.

As much as we celebrate this moment on behalf of all women, I chose to highlight one woman in particular who should be part of this narrative but is often forgotten for our produsage assignment. Shirley Chisholm was the first Black woman elected to the US Congress, the first major-party Black candidate for the President of the United States, and the first woman to run for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Chisholm.) Her bid for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination was a watershed moment for Blacks and women. While she was not successful in her bid, she was successful in cracking the "glass ceiling" that has historically created barriers for women advancing in various aspects of society.


Cracking the Glass Ceiling (with images, tweets) · justchan11
The purpose of the produsage was to create a Web-based resource in a user-centered, Web 2.0 manner. I chose to create a story on Storify to highlight the contributions Shirley Chisholm made and to infuse her story into the current narrative of women in politics, and specifically a female presidential candidate. I wanted to use more than one Web 2.0 tool for this project, so I developed a YouTube playlist featuring videos of Shirley Chisholm throughout her political career. I created a Pinterest board and pinned visual content related to Shirley Chisholm. I also created a Goodreads bookshelf with books about Shirley Chisholm. I encountered a significant challenge trying to post URL links for these different mediums directly into my Storify story. After several hours Googling possible solutions, I finally decided to post the URL links in a tweet and send via Twitter. I then included the tweet into the Storify story. Once the story was published, I posted the Storify link on Facebook and Twitter and am hoping to generate engagement through multiple platforms.


I tried to follow the guidelines featured on the VoiceThread presentation by instructor regarding "Designing for a Community." Each platform that I created was entitled "Cracking the Glass Ceiling." I changed my profile picture on my Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest accounts so they each displayed the same picture. I also repeatedly placed the following hashtags on content in order to curate content - #ShirleyChisholm and #BlackGirlMagic. I provided "instructions" along with each platform featured in Storify as a means to encourage users to interact/engage with each platform. This is my first time using Storify, so we will see how this goes!


YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHIGYftC_4IR7qliZHDKU32iCdt0BH_kL

GoodReads

Pinterest
Pinterest

2 comments: